I hope to see more geeky graffiti like this in future travels.
I hope to see more geeky graffiti like this in future travels.
This is from ‘how it should have ended’ and basically looks at films and decides how they should have ended. Quite amusing and I believe basically it’s all Hermione’s fault.
I have already listed 10 obscure facts from Harry Potter, yet I feel some of them are pretty known now, so with this list I have delved a bit deeper and the jewels can be found below.
1. The core of the Elder Wand is Thestral tail hair. JK Rowling says this is because it’s such a powerful and tricky substance and hence only possible of being mastered by a witch or wizard who is capable of facing death.
2. In the Goblet of Fire, Sirius was originally meant to live with a Figg like woman called Mopsy in Hogsmede, who was an extreme dog lover, and so happy to take in Snuffles. But this was late cut and replaced with him living in the cave.
3. The squib Arabella Figg, cat’s aren’t all what they seem, she does a roaring trade in cross breeding cats with Kneazles, creating very intelligent cats such as Crookshanks.
4. Hagrid’s wand, and the remains in his pink umbrella, are Oak. However JK Rowling has commented that if she had used the Celtic system for assigning wands, he would have been given an Elder wand. She says that as the Oak is ‘The King of the Forest’ in England and is known for it’s strength and protection. Summing up Hagrid.
5. Ron’s owl Pigwidgeon is Scops, which is a very small unshowy owl, and is meant to reflect it’s owner. (The unshowy bit, not the small!)
I had been stumbling and found this chain quiz, which tastes your knowledge and spelling of all things Harry Potter related. You can find it here. It’s extra tough as if you can’t answer the question you can’t move on. I managed to do it with 2:13 remaining. What can you do it in?
This is so my favourite Harry Potter website, it’s called The Harry Potter Companion. Not only does it give lots of insights into Harry Potter, more book information than film information; but it has some amazing Potter related artwork.
When you first go on go to ‘Chapter by Chapter’ and pick your favourite book and go through it, for example the picture on the below, is from Letters From No One in The Philosopher’s Stone. It is from the Sunday when the Dursley’s are expecting no more post.
The images vary completely, some are sketches, others are paitnings whilst some are cartoons style images. Even though I like the images like the one I have shown here, I think the variety of different images makes it feel more like a compilation from many fans or Harry Potter and the website lists all the amazing artists who have given permission for there beautiful work to be used. I would love this to be published in to a book, though I know with the amount of cases Warner Brothers and J K Rowling have fought, they wouldn’t be as keen… though I hope they’d still appreciate the work.
If the chapter by chapter work wasn’t enough they are also starting a collection of character portraits using information from the books to give them more depth. For example the picture below of Harry Potter .
Currently they only have character profiles of Harry, Ginny and Dumbledore but I expect there will be more soon.
There is so much to the website and I implore you to check it out. Seriously beautiful, and even if your not a big Potter geek, I am sure you’d appreciate the work.
My friend posted this on my Facebook a while a go and I still love it and if it wasn’t all the way in the US I’d have one already. It is the most beautifully designed Harry Potter shirt, using the Hogwarts Emblem as a design. I love the washed out colours but also the way Gryffindors and Slytherins. You can take a look at Threadless to get one for yourself. Heart it.
Being a bit bored of what I’m doing I have decided to compile a list of 10 obscure facts about the Harry Potter series. Obviously most potter maniacs will know them as it runs in their blood, but to recent fans or maybe for film-solo fans they will be lovely. I would like to credit all the Harry Potter websites and forums who helped me compile this list. What is the collective term for Harry Potter Fans? Glee fans are Gleeks. Twilight fans are
losers, sorry I mean Twihards.
But what is there for Potters?
1. Dementors don’t breed like everyone else but spawn from decay. Such as from mould or fungus.
2. Crookshanks, Hermione’s cat is not 100% cat. Instead it’s half kneazle, this is why it is so suspicious of Ron’s Rat Scabbers, which turns out to be Wormtail.
3. In earlier stages The Death Eaters were going to be called the Knights of Walpurgis. I’m glad she settled on Death Eaters.
4. Ginny’s full name is not actually Virginia, but Ginevra.
5. The code Arthur Weasley uses to get into the Ministry using the public entrance, i.e. using the Telephone box is 62442, which spells out MAGIC. Cool right?
6. There are 10 types of dragon mentioned in Harry Potter they are:
I have had an ebay account for ages now, I got it originally to try and buy a dress for my prom. Long story short, I had a lipsy dress last year which I loved, it was comfy, pretty, and though I didn’t appriciate it at the time it was probably one of the best dresses I ever forked out money for. It was just lovely. So I thought as I needed a new dress I would get the same dress but with a different pattern, hopefully purple or silver to match some accesories I already had. However this was easier said than done, I found one on ebay and thought yes this is it. I made a bid.
I was out bid.
I angrily made another bid.
I was in the lead.
1 minute to go. Still mine.
30 seconds to go. Still mine
20 seconds to go. Some bitch out bid me.
The language which came out of my mouth as I tried to add another bid was proliffic. I would type it hear but fear I may damage your eyes.
So that put me right of ebay. Wore my old dress and went to the prom. Which is fine and dandy really. It must just be a girl thing wanting to have a new dress for a prom.
That was until this week when I finnaly lost my virginity, ebay wise.
Last week at the Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 Premiere in London I spotted a girl with a tiny book around her neck, it was Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone. I was in love. I needed that necklace, my friend had to stop me from tearing it from her neck and running down the red carpet to make a getaway.
So I trawled the internet and finally came accros Dragon Dreads, where all the books were on sale on there own website: http://www.dragondreads.co.uk/ but also on there ebay account (search Dragon Dreads on ebay to find them). This was it the moment of nerves when I finally took the step and made the purchase on ebay. I was all of a flutter when I clicked ‘Buy Now’ and then went through the unfamiliar territory to purchase the necklace. Coming to a total of £4.50, with postage.
And here is where I thank Dragon Dreads for being the most caring lover to share my ebay virginity with. There were no issues I got the item 2 days later and it was exactly what I wanted. A tiny weeny Harry Potter and The Philosopher Stone Book on a silver chain.
I’ve had all week off due to lack of shifts and stuff so decided to be really creative and make my friend a wand for her Harry Potter Themed Party. And I have to say it has been most enjoyable. Firstly finding wand shaped twigs and practicing with them, making sure they hand a nice magical feel by casting a couple of spells. Then finding out how to use sandpaper and other wood tools to, make them less ‘found them by a tree’ and more ‘very expensive custom wand’. Sanding however takes along time and creates a lot of mess… Then using some varnish to make them all shiny and pretty looking. Which really made them look more like HP wands. Obviously they don’t have a Dragons Heart String or a Phoenix Feather as there core due lack of availability at Tescos. Finally wrapping them in ribbon to create a soft handle and voilà hand made custom wands. Fabulous for a real Harry Potter geek. Unfortunately after finishing them my sister came in to ask if she could have one and I had to do it all over again. I will upload a photo once I’ve given it away, to keep some sense of surprise.