Being a bit bored of what I’m doing I have decided to compile a list of 10 obscure facts about the Harry Potter series. Obviously most potter maniacs will know them as it runs in their blood, but to recent fans or maybe for film-solo fans they will be lovely. I would like to credit all the Harry Potter websites and forums who helped me compile this list. What is the collective term for Harry Potter Fans? Glee fans are Gleeks. Twilight fans are
losers, sorry I mean Twihards.
But what is there for Potters?
1. Dementors don’t breed like everyone else but spawn from decay. Such as from mould or fungus.
2. Crookshanks, Hermione’s cat is not 100% cat. Instead it’s half kneazle, this is why it is so suspicious of Ron’s Rat Scabbers, which turns out to be Wormtail.
3. In earlier stages The Death Eaters were going to be called the Knights of Walpurgis. I’m glad she settled on Death Eaters.
4. Ginny’s full name is not actually Virginia, but Ginevra.
5. The code Arthur Weasley uses to get into the Ministry using the public entrance, i.e. using the Telephone box is 62442, which spells out MAGIC. Cool right?
6. There are 10 types of dragon mentioned in Harry Potter they are:
- Antipodean Opaleye
- Chinese Fireball
- Common Welsh Green
- Hebridean Black
- Hungarian Horntail
- Norwegian Ridgeback
- Peruvian Vipertooth
- Romanian Longhorn
- Swedish Short-Snout
- Ukrainian Ironbelly
7. If a muggle goes near Hogwarts all they would see is an old ruin with the sign ‘Keep Out, Dangerous Building’.
8. Dragon’s Blood is an effective oven cleaner. Forget Cillit Bang.
9. Hogwarts’ school motto is ‘Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus’ this translates from Latin to ‘Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon’. Pretty wise advice.
10. Voldemort’s wand is made of yew, historically yew is seen by some as having supernatural power and symbolic of death and rebirth. So the immortality of which Voldemort seeks.